The service provides confidential advice and support to anyone wanting to discuss how cancer is affecting their life.
When you are affected by cancer, either as a patient, carer or family member, having the right kind of information and support at the right time is important.
The team will make contact to arrange a face to face appointment, or discuss concerns by telephone, or drop-in is available at Doncaster Royal Infirmary.
Who can use the service?
People who are attending Doncaster Royal Infirmary (drop-in welcome) with questions or concerns about cancer. Referrals are accepted for people living in Doncaster or those registered with a Doncaster GP who:
- Require information about cancer
- Have a cancer diagnosis
- Are living with the consequences of a cancer diagnosis
- Are a carer, relative or friend of someone with cancer
- Are worried about cancer or want information about reducing the risks of developing cancer
- Are a health or social care professional
What does the service provide?
The service is delivered by an experienced team of health professionals and offers a range of information and support including:
- Booklets and leaflets e.g. specific cancer information and treatments, advance care planning
- Emotional support – by telephone or face to face with referrals to counselling service if requested
- Referrals to local and national services for help with financial advice and applications for benefits
- Information about living with cancer e.g. managing fatigue, work-related issues, diet, exercise and finances
- Cancer screening information
- Recognising early signs and symptoms
- Healthy lifestyle advice
- Links to clinical teams.
By working together with our partners in health and social care teams and the voluntary sector, we ensure that people receive the appropriate information and support.
Anyone can self-refer to the service by telephoning or emailing with their contact details. We also accept referrals from health and social care professionals.
Telephone: 03000 214 853 (please leave message on answerphone)
Drop-in: Macmillan Cancer Information Centre, Out-patients 1 Department, Doncaster Royal Infirmary, Armthorpe Road, Doncaster, DN2 5LT
We are open Monday to Friday 9am – 4pm (except bank holidays)