Here are some basic guidelines on what you might need to do and where you can find out more.

Setting up an online Just Giving page

If you’re looking to fundraise by way of a pledge, or challenge, or even in lieu of a birthday or special occasion, all you need to do is set up a JustGiving fundraising page to get you started. Share your fundraising challenge on social media – don’t forget to tag us so we can share it too! Ask friends, family and colleagues to donate and check if your employer offers match funding, and if they’re eligible they can also tick the box for us to get additional funds via Gift Aid!


To collect funds in any public place you need a licence from your local authority. If you’re collecting on private property, such as a pub or supermarket, you should have written permission from the owner.

Gaining permission

It is so much easier not to use public areas for your event or sponsored walk, bike ride etc. Instead you could get permission from your local school to hold your event on their land. If you wish to use public places you will need to get police permission and talk to customer services at your local authority.

Raffles and lotteries

For everything you need to know about organising a raffle or lottery within the law, consult your local council and the Institute of Fundraising website.

Health and safety

For advice on first aid, contact your local branch of St John’s Ambulance. To ensure your event is run safely, contact customer services at your local council or, if you’re holding the event at work, talk through your plans with the person responsible for health and safety.

Sponsored events

The best place to stage a sponsored event is on private or maybe school grounds (or similar) where you’ll only need permission from one person. It’s not so easy to stage it on public property as you’ll have to ask permission from your local authority, the police etc