It’s hair today gone tomorrow for big-hearted Jill

Fun loving mum Jill Renshaw needed to apply the sun cream after completing her latest madcap fund-raiser.

Jill, 69, bravely sat and watched her thick locks fall to the floor as husband Ian, a retired Rockware Glass worker, set to with clippers, completely shaving her head in half an hour

Hairless Jill quickly found that she had to plaster on high factor sun cream to avoid getting burnt as her wacky stunt coincided with a recent heatwave.

But it was all in a good cause – raising £200 for Doncaster’s St John’s Hospice, which cared for Jill’s brothers – Roy, who died in 2004 from stomach cancer and Gerald, who battled lung cancer until his death in 2009.

Jill said: “The hospice and its staff were fantastic in looking after them and also an aunt and uncle of mine who both died from cancer as well. I cannot praise the staff enough but hopefully this goes some way to say thank you.

“I wanted to fundraise during the lockdown but I was limited to what I could do so a sponsored head shave seemed a great idea. Daughter, Mand, is a hairdresser and would normally have done it but as we’re isolating she hasn’t been able to visit.”

Big-hearted Jill is no stranger to the Vin Diesel look, six years ago her first sponsored head shave coined in £700 for the hospice.

And several years ago she sat in a bath of custard at a working men’s club in her home village of Bentley, raising £300 for cancer research.

Lindsey Richards, from the hospice, said: “Jill is a big supporter and we are delighted that the pandemic hasn’t stopped her from helping us again with another successful money-spinner. Thank you.”

To find out about supporting your local hospice by becoming a sponsor or to fundraise by holding an event, please contact the fundraising team on 01302 796662 or 01302 798391. Alternatively you can donate here:


St John’s Hospice is run by Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust (RDaSH).

Jill with the cheque she handed over to the hospice

Jill with the cheque she handed over to the hospice